How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Manual steps to back up the registry in Windows Vista or in Windows XP
- Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe, and then click OK.
- On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
- On the Select a Restore Point page, click the system checkpoint. In the On this list select the restore point area, click an entry that is named "Guided Help (Registry Backup)", and then click Next. If a System Restore message appears that lists configuration changes that Systems Restore will make, click OK.
- On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration and then restarts the computer.
- Log on to the computer. When the System Restore confirmation page appears, click OK.
- Click Start, type systempropertiesprotection in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
- Wait for Windows to search for available disks and most recent restore points. In the System Properties dialog box, on the System Protection tab, click Create.
- Type a name for the restore point and then click Create.
- After the restore point has been created, click Close.